SSB GTO Tasks: How to approach IO and GOR
SSB GTO Tasks: The GTO technique is an observational technique. It consists of the number of different, leaderless group situations, in which the candidates have the freedom to choose their own behavioral roles, lay down their own priorities for action and engage themselves in a collective group activity, interacting freely, bringing about modifications or changes in their own and others’ behavior. The assessment is made on the basis of the overall group effectiveness of the candidate in relation to his group.
The GTO technique consists of nine (09) tasks which are conducted over a period of two days
- Group Discussion (GD).
- Group Planning Exercise (GPE).
- Progressive Group Task.
- Group Obstacles Race.
- Half Group Task (HGT)
- Individual Obstacle Course
- Command Task
- Final Group Task
Individual Obstacles (IO)
- In SSB individual obstacles has a set of 10 obstacles that are set to be tackled individually. Obstacles are numbered from one to ten, denoting the points each one carries. Each individual is given three minutes.
- Listen to your GTO’s instructions carefully. Observe the obstacles minutely and make a plan in mind where to begin and how to proceed.
- Try to start from the highest marked obstacle that you can cross.
- Try to finish it, once you attempt an obstacle.
- Proceed sequentially one after another and do not go from extreme here to there.
- If you fail again and again then proceed to next without wasting time.
- Be bold, cheerful and fast. Do not hesitate and handle things tactfully and intelligently.
Group Obstacle Race (GOR)
- In SSB group obstacle race task the group is pitched against each other over a set of six obstacles with a snake-like load to carry.
- Be with the group and identify candidates who are weak or injured might delay your movement.
- Make a move plan by having physically fit candidates at the beginning or middle or in the end to support weak candidates.
- Make sure that once the entire group has crossed than move to the next obstacle
- Follow the rules and make sure the entire group adhere to it.